Mobile version

Life with Multiple Sclerosis: How I Live Alone in Belgorod

I used to see a wheelchair as a life sentence. Now I see it as a way out of the situation I found myself in. Without it, I would just sit at home. With it, I move around, work, and live the way I want. I have an attachment for my wheelchair that has significantly expanded my possibilities and lets me go farther.

I live alone and I work. That’s important to me: work gives me a sense of support and independence. Belgorod turned out to be a very convenient city for getting around in a wheelchair. It’s fairly easy to travel around it on my own, without anyone’s help. My home is also accessible and well-suited for living with a disability. The conditions around a person decide a great deal, and I’ve been lucky here.

I love going to the gym and working out. Physical activity is one of the best-confirmed supportive measures for multiple sclerosis. But for me it’s not just about the evidence: after the gym I feel stronger, not simply like a “patient.”

Next step: traveling

Right now I’m thinking about starting to travel. It seems like the perfect time to learn how to ride a train in a car adapted for people with disabilities. I don’t know in advance how everything will go, but I want to try. The world beyond the city exists too, and it’s also accessible to me.

A neurodegenerative disease doesn’t end life, but it forces you to rebuild it. I’ve managed to do that through independence, movement, work, and sports. If you’re reading this because you’ve faced something similar, I hope my experience helps you see that even after a diagnosis, many opportunities remain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment