Mobile version

Closer to the goal and farther from multiple sclerosis.3rd of June. The fourth month is over.

Hello to all my dear readers. Here’s the result on the 3rd of June, 2016. It’s the end of the 4th month of applying the “4.0” method. Here we can see, even with the naked eye, that my movements have become sharper, faster and stronger, I keep my balance better. It looks like that I’ve gained several victories against MS and demyelination since the last month  . What is coming next? I’m curious myself. 



You’ll find another machine in the second part of the article. It was one of the first exercise machine which I hoped would help me recover my legs. I bought it at about that time when I was trying to walk after having broken soft tissues near my knee joint dozen times. All this happened when I got rid of the plaster on my right hand after the dislocation and fracture of two of my fingers. But that’s not the point..

The purpose of buying  that exerciser was both to provide my legs with a necessary level of motor activity and to avoid injures. So, let me introduce the treadmill «Torneo»:



I can’t recall the exact date of purchase, but it was somewhere in 2008-2009, though I didn’t manage to find the receipt. The machine looks quite shabby, I broke the front plastic lid through with my knee several times, the rubber handles were torn, and the metal plate for pulse measurement broke down as well. Yet, the quality was pretty good for 6-7 years of constant workout.

Observing technical features, you can notice a solid metal frame for hands which was the reason of choosing this particular model. Even if the level of paralysis is quite significant, in MS, some movements remain anyway, not many of them, they are damaged with spasticity and paresis, but they still function somehow. That’s why it’s so crucial to work these movements out and not to let paralysis grow progressively worse. As I didn’t have almost any movements in my legs, this machine had several advantages for me. Firstly, there is always good support for hands. Secondly, the speed is easily contolled and the balance issue is solved. Thirdly, even if the falls may occur, the injury level will be the least of possible.

The first half a year, I exercised on the treadmill too much for a wheelchair guy. As many of us, who are full of Hollywood and Russian movies about the handicapped people struggling paralysis with buying just a regular treadmill and hard work on it, I was eager to check this out.

I chose many different paces and speeds for my training in 1.5 years. I tried to walk as fast as I could, I tried to walk with additional weight, I tried to walk for a long time at very slow speed, I tried to divide practices in a day and walk as much as I could stand. I even tried to walk sidewards and backwards. .

But no matter what I did, I always got the same result – NOTHING. Paralyses didn’t progress, and positive dynamics didn’t appear. More and more, I understood the fact that one thing is to overcome one-year-old MS, and absolutely the other thing is to overcome the same disease, but of 20 years old.

The final point of my 1.5-year endless training on the treadmills is presented with that black lid on the handles (Watch the video above). The top frame is a hollow tube, and this lid just flew away at one training. Next went the black pool of my sweat, which had been streaming down my arms and leaking through the plates of pulse measurement (they were just glued) to the frame. The whole floor was flooded with a black pool, black pool of my sweat. That was the very moment when I realized that it was enough – it didn’t work.

All in all, you should understand that lowest amount of motor activity is necessary. Yes, I’m not that fanatical when it concerns a treadmill, but it doesn’t mean that today, at the day of writing this article, I won’t walk 300-400 metres on it. And guess what? Tomorrow I’ll walk the same 300-400 metres, and the day after tomorrow. And in a week again. And every single day.



No comments:

Post a Comment