Mobile version

05 december 2016, multiple sclerosis, another month is over

Hello to everyone. Winter has сome as always unnoticeably. And I turned 29. Life flies very fast, I remember a great deal of moments from my childhood as it happened yesterday. One of my first memories – a tricycle, autumn, rainy weather.😎 The people come out of the entryway, the bike gets stuck in the crooked pavement made off-hand. Here’s the first class, the first problems. They felt funny for the first time. My legs spasmed during a PE lesson, but the effect disappeared very quickly.

Whatever. I don’t care, I have 70 years ahead of me. What’s the point in regretting the past? Let’s have a look at what is waiting for me in the future. So, here’s the video:



As always, I’ve decided to share with you some of my thoughts about what’s going on.


Why am I swaying left and right so much?
Because the muscles of my pelvis, back and abdomen have weakened significantly, and when I move weight from one leg to another, the muscles of pelvis, abdomen, back don’t handle a sharp pressure and begin to sag. That’s why my pelvis goes to the side because of being squeezed with abdomen muscles, also my back doesn’t handle pressure, and I’m simply drawn to the side. I sway left more, and it can be explained with the fact that my right side of muscle control in the small of my back is damaged more. I discovered that my right side had been damaged much more a long time ago. 😀

You can also notice that I straighten the position of my back and pelvis after doing a step. I handle pressure quite well if it doesn’t happen very quickly and sharply. In general, it proves that the control of back muscles, damaged areas of pelvis and abdomen have recovered at some initial level. That’s why it helps me to keep my centre of gravity.

Another reason why I sway a lot is my weak hips – it’s technically difficult to move my leg forward because of it. I will tell you even more, one year ago I couldn’t walk at all as my hips and knee joint were spasmed with severe spasticity. The moves were extremely sharp and very weak, I couldn’t relax a knee joint, and my steps reminded a tin soldier.  The leg dragged on the ground because of sharp muscle contractions of abdomen muscles and pelvis pulling.
When I tried to strain my hip joint and just to lift legs up to my abdomen, I got straightened up very much, and I could do nothing about it. 👦

Now it’s easy for everybody (not only for an expert) to notice that I move almost the same way and my highly weak hip muscles are still very spastic and can’t handle even little pressure. 

You could also notice that there’s a clock in my room, and I include it in the video especially to show you how often I can do a walk.
If I don’t control my knee joint and just straighten it and start walking, I have a little time till the moment of severe spasticity of my lower extremites. If I control my knee joint, keep it in the right position, spasticity starts much earlier. It’s more difficult to walk, and I need 5-7 minutes to relax it and give my muscles a chance to contract correctly.. 👺

Partly, at the age of 16, my weakened hips and pelvis joint control in particular gave me a better understanding of how frightening MS can be for the first time. The muscles of front hip surface and pelvis muscles started to turn off, as a result I could stand without a problem, but if I walked 100-120m, I experienced a wild fatigue, I would say that I was about to pass out. My brain turned off literally as the function of leg move forward was influenced with a deep demyelination, and my brain couldn’t bear even a little pressure without a collapse of the whole body motion (moving system).

That’s why since I could weaken spacticity more or less and I managed to walk from the sofa to the wall with a walking cane, I made up my mind to start this challenge. The theoretical part of this method (approach) looks quite satisfying, the practical one has already given me rather intriguing results. I don’t hope that tomorrow, after 8 years spent in a wheelchair, I will stand up out of the blue and start running. It’s not possible with such a severe neuron injury. But the possibility of me going out, walking down the street in a year, is already real now. I would say that I will be able to go out and walk about 20 metres with my cane in 3 months (taking into consideration my current dynamics).
 🙌

Why do I put my leg so crooked? Can’t I step more straightly? (My knee joint keeps my body, doesn’t it?) Yes, indeed, the spasticity is keeping wearing out, and I’m getting more strength, and it’s quite obvious, although my walk isn’t good enough.













It happens due to the following factors – too weak control over my pelvis and hip, as a result I can’t move my leg to the utmost and I drag it on the side, in circles (look at the pictures above. The left picture represents  how it should be, the right one shows what I have now). Partly, the way I drag my leg like this is an attempt of my brain to adapt to sagged shin muscles and sagged foot. I can’t do a straight strong and distinctive leg move forward while I’m standing,  my brain won’t even try to do it. Because when I could do it, my brain couldn’t do anything with my sagged ankle but adapt to it and start moving my leg not straightly, but in circles. As a consequence, my ankle joint got stuck and I’m technically not able to bend it to the utmost, as pressure it’s designed for is enormous (because it needs to be worked out properly). That’s why the position of my feet is crooked. Also, I very much lack strength to move forward. My brain struggles to figure out the position of my foot because it’s not the way it should be (according to my brain calculations). Demyelination changes the strength of nerve impulses, and it causes the following effect – the feet are apart from the body while walking, and that’s why my move is crooked 😉

However, I don’t think that I have something that can’t be recovered. My bones and joints are safe, muscle tissues, even not developed completely, are present in full. A complete loss of muscle control didn’t happen to me. Yes, I have very severe paresis and spasticity in some parts, but I can pull my feet several times. And all my problems started here. There aren’t full breaches in my spinal cord and nervous system as well. And, it means that it’s possible to grow neuron chains. What’s left to do is whip up the process of neuron growth which will be expressed in positive dynamics and recovery of motor functions.

No comments:

Post a Comment